These Apple Hemp Muffins are a life saver. As they are full of nutritious goodies, all can eat: gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, nut allergies, vegetarian, vegan... EVERYONE!
Sure you'll get a few sniggers from people that don't know hemp seeds are a highly nutritious superfood and they'll probably make jokes like "Can I get high from these muffins?" to which you can either roll your eyes and give them a sarcastic response, or you can bombard them with all the amazing information you've stored up about hemp seeds! It's taken a few years for the worth of hemp (high in protein, essential fatty acids and antioxidants) to be recognised in the world of healthy eating.
Parenting tip: These Apple Hemp Muffins are great for school lunches because they are substantial, healthy and of course nut-free!
APPLE HEMP MUFFINS
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole-grain spelt flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom can substitute freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened organic apple sauce
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup plain or vanilla non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raisins or chopped raw banana spears use kitchen shears or knife to cut in small pieces about size of raisins
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, sifting in the baking powder and baking soda. Stir through until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine applesauce, maple syrup, non-dairy milk, and vanilla, and mix together.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and gently fold and mix through, until just combined (do not over mix).
- Spoon the mixture into a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners (this will fill 12 muffins quite full).
- Bake for 21-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Shop the journal
Hemp Milk Recipe