Toasted sesame seeds can often be found in the Asian sections of some supermarkets, sometimes labeled Gomasio. If ever there was a time of year to keep a big jar of them on hand, pre-toasted and ready to go, this is it. They are the perfect crunchy topper for everything from salads to soups and roasted vegetables.
- 250g brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 small heads of broccoli (about 1/2 kilo total), cut into large florets
- 400g block firm tofu, drained well, torn into bite-size pieces
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo-style pepper or other mild red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup green olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon hemp seed oil
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, plus more for serving
- Crushed toasted almonds and/or parsley leaves with tender stems (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 425◦. Cut off stems from brussels sprouts; discard. Place outer leaves on a large rimmed baking sheet. Finely slice inner brussels sprout cores and transfer to a medium bowl. Coarsely grind coriander seeds in spice mill or with mortar and pestle.
- Add broccoli and tofu to baking sheet with outer sprout leaves. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. oil, add crushed coriander and pepper, and toss to combine; season with salt. Roast, tossing once halfway through, until broccoli is browned (even lightly charred in a few spots) and tender, 30–35 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, add olives, 1 Tbsp. oil, 1 Tbsp. hemp seed oil, and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice to sliced brussels sprouts and toss to combine. Season with salt.
- Purée hemp seeds, miso, 2 tsp. sesame seeds, remaining 5 Tbsp. lemon juice and 2 Tbsp. oil, and ¼ cup water in a blender until smooth. Season with salt.
- Spread some dressing on bowls or plates. Toss roasted vegetables with sliced brussels sprouts and arrange over dressing. Top with sesame seeds, almonds, and parsley.
Shop the Journal
Hulled Hemp Seeds
Hemp Seed Oil