This age-old remedy can be a powerful way to improve your immune health, cleanse your gut, fight fungal infections, and more - here's how to use it safely.
Ancient Mediterranean civilisations used it to promote the purity and safety of their drinking water. The metals, which were highly valued for its antimicrobial properties, were often used as a lining for utensils, dishes, and drinking vessels to keep food fresh and prevent spoilage. In the days before antibiotics, silver or gold was the treatment of choice for infections and wounds, including surgical wounds and soldiers’ wounds during World War I.
In the 1930s, when doctors started relying on antibiotics to treat infections, silver and gold use dropped out of favour. Fortunately, you can still reap the health benefits of silver and gold today in the form of liquid and topical colloidal silver. More people are discovering the healing powers of colloidal silver and colloidal gold, particularly with the increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria. While human research is somewhat limited, anecdotal evidence is substantial when it comes to colloidal silver’s health benefits.
TOP 5 HEALTH BENEFITS OF COLLOIDAL SILVER & GOLD
1. HELPS RESOLVE GUT ISSUES
How to make a colloidal silver gut cleanse:
Mix 2 tablespoons colloidal silver with 1 cup pure aloe juice; drink three times daily (45 minutes away from food or drink) for 2–6 weeks. Also, take a probiotic at night.
2. IMPROVES IMMUNE HEALTH
Colloidal silver is known as a natural antibiotic, anti-fungal, and antiviral substance. According to research by Larry C. Ford, MD, at the UCLA School of Medicine, viral, fungal, and bacterial microbes were killed within minutes of exposure to silver. Some of the top immune-supportive uses include:
- Enhancing overall immune function (I take 1 tsp. before and after a flight to avoid getting sick).
- Easing sinus infections and allergies (try adding a few drops to a neti pot or spray directly up your nose).
- Promoting recovery and soothing symptoms from colds and flu; use at the first sign of illness if possible.
- Aiding in recovery from bacterial infections, including respiratory infections, pink eye, and ear infections (place 2–3 drops in each ear, three times daily).
3. FIGHTS FUNGAL INFECTIONS
Colloidal silver is known as a potent anti-fungal and can be used to help relieve ringworm, candida, thrush, and other fungal infections. According to a study in the Iranian Journal of Biotechnology, pine pollen helped enhance the anti-fungal effects of silver nanoparticles.
4. PROMOTES HEALTHY SKIN
If you have any skin issues, including skin infections, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, and acne, colloidal silver gel may help reduce inflammation, pain, and redness. The gel doubles as a beauty product—I dab it under my eyes to help with fine lines.
5. USED FOR FIRST AID REMEDY
Colloidal silver gel is a must-have for your first aid kit. Apply to minor cuts, burns, scrapes, bites, and bruises. It’s also great to have on hand when traveling.
HOW TO USE SILVER SUPPLEMENTS:
- Safety First: Certain forms of silver are unstable (i.e., they are excreted without being absorbed by the body), and they come with increased toxicity risks. While these dangers are dependent on dosage, it’s best to stick with brands from reputable manufactures. Low-quality silver has been associated with argyria, a rare condition in which the skin turns blue.
- High-Quality Silver: Look out for mixtures of highly refined silver ions and silver nanoclusters.
- Dosage Guidelines: Take 45 minutes away from any food or drink. You can add the liquid to smoothies, juices, smoothie bowls, etc. You can also mix 2 tablespoons of colloidal silver liquid per litre of water and sip throughout the day.
Shop the Journal