RECIPE: Super Seed Trifecta Muesli
There are three super-powered seeds in this muesli: Hemp, Flax, and Chia. They are all considered super foods because of their amazing health benefits. Hemp seeds are an excellent source of very easily digestible protein, and they are full of omegas and crucial amino acids that most vegetable proteins lack. Flax seeds are very rich in lignans and omega-3 fatty acids. They have been proven to control cholesterol, regulate bowel movements, and prevent cancer and heart disease. Chia seeds, on top of being chock-full of soluble fibres, omegas, and proteins, they are full of cleansing and hydrating properties. Aztec warriors would cross the dessert for days at a time, keeping chia seeds under their tongues to prevent dehydration. I’m not an Aztec warrior, but I am totally on board with all of these health benefits!
This muesli unites all three seeds creating a trifecta of wondrous health benefits. With gluten-free oats and crisp rice cereal, as the base, and using brown rice syrup as the base, this muesli is light and not overly sweet. It is gluten-free, sugar-free, and very low in oil. It is, by far, my favourite muesli to date.
Super Seed Trifecta Muesli
Prep time: 8 minutes Total time: 1 hour
Makes 12-14 servings (depending on how hungry you are in the mornings!)
- 3 cups crisp brown rice cereal (gluten-free)
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup hulled hemp seeds
- ½ cup brown flax seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons hemp seed oil (or flax seed oil)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180˚ degrees
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Heat the wet ingredients in a saucepan, until it just begins to bubble around the edges. Alternatively you can heat the wet ingredients in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and thoroughly combine. Divide the mixture between the two baking sheets and spread out evenly.
- Bake the muesli for 45 minutes, switching shelves for each sheet (i.e. placing the sheet from the top shelf on the lower shelf and vice versa).
- Once done, let cool completely before transferring to an air-tight container. Enjoy!