RECIPE: Goji Berry & Hemp Acai Bowl
An Acai Bowl is created when pureed acai berry is blended with other fruits like frozen blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries, and frozen banana. I’m sure there’s thousands of combinations possible but this was the classic one that I chose for these breakfast Acai Bowls.
After blending up the frozen acai and fruit with unsweetened almond milk, I poured the thick, cold smoothie mixture into bowls and went to town with the toppings!
The toppings really are the best part of an Acai Bowl. They add texture, flavour, nutrients, and fun!
I chose a gluten free muesli for fibre, hemp seeds for healthy omega fats and protein, goji berries for an extra hit of antioxidants, sliced banana and honey for a touch more sweetness, and shredded coconut for more healthy fats and minerals (coconut is a great source of selenium!).
It’s always a good idea to add some healthy fats into an Acai Bowl whether it’s coconut, nuts and seeds, or nut butter as the fats help to slow the release of sugar from the carbohydrates into the blood stream and prevent a blood sugar spike which can lead to sugar cravings and an energy crash later on!
Have you ever had an Acai Bowl? How do you make yours? We’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
EASY GOJI BERRY & HEMP ACAI BOWLS
Prep time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes
Acai Bowl Base:
- 1 package acai berry puree OR 2 heaping tablespoons acai berry powder
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 bananas, peeled and diced (preferably frozen)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 medium banana (not frozen)
- ¼ cup goji berries
- 4 teaspoons honey (or agave/coconut nectar for vegan)
- ½ cup muesli of choice
- Add the acai bowl base ingredients to a good quality blender and blend until thick and smooth.
- Divide the smoothie mixture between 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with 2 tablespoons coconut, ¼ sliced banana, 1 tablespoon goji berries, 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, 1 teaspoon honey, and 2 tablespoons of granola.
Hemp Gallery products featured in this article: